A ‘successful’ business form is one that is able to achieve its goals, both in terms of fulfilling the role that it was built to play – as well as getting more responses. That success is based on several key factors however, and understanding them should help you to improve your business forms across the board.
Credibility and Trust
If you want to get people to divulge their personal information via online forms, there needs to be a certain amount of credibility and trust. The more private the information, the more trust there needs to be.
Fostering that trust and building credibility can be tricky, but there are a few ways to go about it:
- Use branding elements in the form to establish a connection between it and your business.
- Make sure the design of the form looks clean and professional, and leverage design trends such as Google’s material design.
- Explain why you need certain information – especially if it is private.
Simplicity and Ease of Use
The easier it is to fill out a form, the more people are likely to do so. That is why it is important that your business forms are simple and can be completed without any difficulty of confusion.
To simplify a form, you should take several steps and:
- Reduce the number of fields in the form and restrict it to only essential information.
- Use a single-column layout as opposed to a multiple-column layout.
- Clearly label every field in a manner that is easy to understand.
- Add useful error messages that explain the problem and suggest a solution.
At the end of the day if you want to get lots of people to fill out your forms, you need to provide them with a reason to want to fill it out – which is where incentives come into play. Typically businesses offer a wide range of incentives ranging from free gifts to coupons, special discounts, or other perks.
The value of the incentive should correspond with the amount of effort it will take to fill out the form. For example to fill out a simple lead capture form a free report is often a good enough incentive, but for a multiple-page survey you may need to offer something more compelling.
Now that you’re aware of the factors that will have a part to play in the success of your online business forms – you can get to work improving them. That will require that you’re able to customize the structure and design of your forms, and using an alternative such as AidaForm to help you create business contact forms, surveys, and other online forms can help.
As you can see the user experience is key when creating online business forms, and it should be prioritized when you optimize them. That is invaluable for any business, as it could directly affect your bottom line by improving your marketing efficiency, conversion rate, customer satisfaction, and more.