Even those who commit faults more care strategy. Here are the 17 most common.
You doctor, there’s no doubt. And it has become a guru of welfare in his circle of friends. Not surprisingly, he spends much of his time to reflect on optimal physical condition. Well done. But watch out, even the most convinced of the importance of caring commit errors in their habits.
In fact, many of them are caused by this excessive desire to be more fit than anyone. Others, however, are due to misinformation.
Not socialize “because it’s Tuesday” and deny a reed to his friends, take time from sleep to go to the gym or do not know how to live without vitamin supplements, swell the list. And they can lead to major problems of physical and mental health.
The answer to these everyday mistakes is (like everything) in the medium term: the balance between activity and rest, to have quality information and say goodbye to the obsessions. These are the most common mistakes that people make healthy.
In the doctor’s office
1. Go out of turn or fold when touched. And how do I know? “If a cold or gastroenteritis appears, you need not go to the doctor,” said Francisco Camarelles, family physician and member of the Spanish Society of Family and Community Medicine ( semFYC ), “as long as the self work, which It involves knowing what changes should be made in daily life. ” If known, attend to the health center.
2. Skipping vaccines. One of the most healthy habits to prevent disease is vaccination. That, dear health guru, I know you well.
But can it slip that stands Camarelles this error: thinking that vaccines need only the children. Therefore, more emphasis should be placed among the adult population, for example, in cases such as tetanus, hepatitis B and influenza in persons older than 60 years and risk groups, as indicated by the Spanish Society of Vaccinology.
3. Realise an annual medical control. For lack or excess, the checks can be misleading. “It’s a balance between the benefits and harms to patients, because controls may involve side effects.
Prevention is important, but it has its limits. There are studies that suggest that indiscriminate tests are usually not help much.
Testing is not required when there are no symptoms. Another thing is to apply preventive health activities for each patient, for example, on issues such as snuff, alcohol, stress or weight.
The recommendation of the Program of Preventive Activities and Health Promotion (PAPPS) is an analysis done before 35, another before 50 and then every five years, “says the doctor.
4. Take care much, but continue smoking. Many people tend to have an idea of prevention sometimes not very successful, as noted Camarelles. An example? “They care deeply about cholesterol, but continue smoking, a habit even more damaging in cardiovascular disease,” he says.
5. Request prescribed antibiotics. A common mistake in consultations corresponds to a certain popular culture on the need to take antibiotics. “In Spain, we abuse of antibiotics-are used for more things that should be, as in the case of viruses, which are useless and can create resistance to its implementation when necessary. It does not bother me to ask an antibiotic, but give it to sometimes be wrong, “explains Camarelles.
6. Relying too much on health technology. A section of the population observes this family physician, has high expectations for the modern clinical techniques are the solution for any health problem. “The TAC super modern or blood tests able to see everything is a future possibility yet. The important thing is to invest in prevention measures and campaigns and that people understand that health depends on many conditions, such as lifestyles, the area in which they live or social characteristics.”
The best vitamin capsule is taken every day a salad and a few pieces of fruit
In the shopping cart
7. Believing that organic is healthier. The products with the ‘green’ label have the particularity of having been produced s in synthetic inputs. “But it is not shown to be healthier than conventional,” says Gabriel Olveira endocrine, Regional University Hospital of Malaga and member of the Spanish Society of Endocrinology and Nutrition (SEEN).
8. Exceeding with food or vitamin supplements. The best vitamin capsule is taken every day a salad and a few pieces of fruit, according to experts. A balanced diet like the Mediterranean is to be promoted, according Olveira, covering all the needs of vitamins and minerals for a healthy person without supplements. “In EE. UU.
It has been fashionable take vitamin supplements, and it is believed that one in three people make to reduce cardiovascular risk. But the fact of consuming without presenting any deficit and high doses has counterproductive effects. “Check with your doctor.
9. Do not eat five fruits and vegetables a day. The recommendation to eat, day three pieces of fruit, or its equivalent fresh juice, and two of vegetables not often met among the Spanish population.
“Even taking less than the recommendation, the consumption of these foods has benefits,” notes the endocrine “But it’s a gradual thing.
There is greater profit with increasing these foods in the diet, because they are low in calories and have many vitamins, water and minerals, “he continues.
10. Believing that the ‘natural’ labels, ‘low fat “or” cholesterol free “are a green light for all. Words can mislead. As Olveira says, it is very typical to find products that promise to be free of cholesterol, but they are full of saturated fats, such as palm oil or coconut oil, similar to bacon fat. “You have a bit of culture to know the meaning of things that lead to deception, because ‘low fat’ does not mean ‘fat free’. As ‘natural’ is not ‘good’ because so are the hemlock or poisonous mushrooms, but should not be eaten. ”
11. Do not stop at the sugars in the label. The most typical mistake is to confuse free sugars with added sugar free. And it happens even with the juices. “Many times, packaged juices are from concentrate orange that then rehydrated, and carry a lot of fructose [monosaccharide] important [WHO recommends reducing sugar intake to 25 grams a day ], “says the endocrine. For Read your labels. “And know that syrup or fructose syrup present in pastries and sweets, are also associated with metabolic diseases such as obesity, high cholesterol or hypertension,” continued the expert.
12. Eat more by exercising, when you need to lose weight. If you have a BMI of 22 -the normally and goes from being sedentary to active spending on average 500 more calories all day without eating some more-you lose weight by exercise. “It is true that people who exercise more have increased energy expenditure and would have to eat more to maintain weight. But if you look slim and not worth increase caloric intake “ditch Olveira.
Physical activity and behavior
13. Doing too much sport. Training with too much can mean a heavy workload performance decreases instead of increasing. One of the evidences is the greatest risk to infection, as Mari Carmen Gomez-Cabrera, Professor of the Department of Human Physiology and Exercise at the University of Valencia says. “In the case of non-professional, marked very ambitious targets on short notice without sufficient margin to adaptations, it may involve an increase in muscle or joint injuries, and other adverse effects.
Exercise is very beneficial for various systems such as cardiovascular, respiratory or nervous, but it can have negative consequences, such as for joints, for specialties such as running, “he adds. Here are dissonant voices, because other experts, however, see no problems in the race. In any case, bad training also involves excess.
14. Do not socialize enough. “The benefits of having a good social network of friends are something estudiadisimo in psychology, because there are thousands of evidence to show that it is a safeguard for the health and well-being,” says Jorge Barraca, a clinical psychologist and president of the Spanish Society of Clinical and Health Psychology ( SEPCyS ). “The relapse in schizophrenia or psychoses have much to do with having a poor social network, rather than treatments that may follow. The more isolated a person lives, is more exposed to the risks of psychological health. ”
15. Scratch hours sleep. Reduce the hours on the pillow, even to go to the gym, it is associated with many problems of depression and anxiety, so that treatments for these disorders are usually based on retrieving and sleep habits for this is restful. The expert advice is to plan the rest with the same zeal that activity
16. Obsession with health. Have yourself assault by a tenacious idea about food, germs or lifestyle, the subject becomes easy prey of fashions. “Soy years ago today, the obsession was the egg,” says Barraca. And all just a trend. Given these fads, has to prevail proven scientific information, such as ditch the expert.
17. Monitor it all. We know there are devices that measure up to the steps we take, thanks to which we can, for example, to know where we start a walk to lose weight. Sleep or heart rate are other measurable constant. But all is not gold that glitters, as these gadgets are not for everyone. “For obsessive people, much information is counterproductive,” says Barraca.